Sunday 28 February 2016

India - Varkala

27/02/2016
This morning I woke at around 7:00 and just relaxed for a bit. (I can never sleep in, so annoying).
I met with the group around 9:00 to leave for Varkala.

It was about an hour and a half drive from Trivandrum. When I arrived I was so amazed, it was so incredibly beautiful and our home stay was right on the cliff face overlooking the crystal clear ocean. It was a very nice surprise and a nice change from the hectic city of Trivandrum.

After admiring the view we went to our rooms where I had time to freshen up and chill for a bit. We then went for a walk along the cliff face where there are endless restaurants and small market stalls for you to look at. When we got to the beach we stopped to again admire the view and we then had lunch at a place called ‘my place’. I got a veg curry which was soooo yummy, but super filling and didn't leave me feeling my best L, but the taste may have been worth it. The curry was 100 rupee which converts roughly to $2 and the rice was 70 rupee which converts to $1.40. Soo #3.40 for a massive meal with an amazing taste, need I say more?

I then went for a swim on the beach with the two English girls Josie and (sorry I'm terrible with names). It was really nice to be in the ocean again. It was super salty, although I didn't mind thatJ.
We then hung out for a bit and spoke about random things that we didn't know our countries had in common.

I then walked back to try and find a yoga class. I found one (which wasn’t hard, they are everywhere). It started at 4:30 so I just had enough time to run back to my hotel and get some appropriate clothes on.

I then went back to the building where the yoga class was held. It was on the rooftop in the nice cool breeze overlooking the ocean. It was heaven. The class was very different to what I am used to but it was very enjoyable and interesting.

At the end of the class, then man was telling me how it is a new system of yoga that is not taught everywhere. It involves centring the body after a sequence of flow and readjusting the spine, so the body is reading for the next sequence of phase. His explanation of the practise made a lot of sense to me especially as I have had a lot of troubles with my back before I came to India. He was very wise and I thoroughly enjoyed the class and his teaching.

The class finished around 6:00, and then we chatted for half an hour so I got out of there around 6:30.
I then went back to my room, quickly got changed and went out for dinner with the group. We went to a place with a TV as most of the husbands were interested in the cricket (Pakistan versus India). I still wasn't feeling the best after the curry so I had some fruit and a fresh juice which made me feel a bit betterJ. I think I’ll be sticking to fruit for breakfast (as always) and lunch tomorrow, or for a couple of days. I'm just not used to eating savoury foods for lunch, but I will come around I’m sureJ.  I went home a little earlier than the rest of the crew, as I was fairly tired.

Overall, the view of the ocean and crystal clear water, and the hotel on the cliff face won me over.

Jess xx

No comments:

Post a Comment